free counters

Saturday 16 October 2010

transfer my child into a grammar school




question from yahoo


Can I transfer my child into a grammar school if she HASN'T passed her 11+?

My daughter is 12 years old and currently attending a comprehensive school (she is year 7) in kent which she hates.
She wants to get into a grammar school, but she didn't pass her 11+.
Is there any way to get her into a grammar school despite the fact she didn't pass her 11+?
BY THE WAY...
I've read about the 13+ (http://www.tuition.com.hk/common-entrance-exam.htm) but I don't know how to apply for it. Apparantly you can get entrance in year nine if you pass.
Please help!?

===

I was in this same position, but I was the child. I too wanted to go to a Grammar school whilst at a Comprehensive school, this was in Year 7. My mother phoned the school and asked whether there was a chance I could join even if I had failed my 11+, I was told there was no way until 6th form. I am now in Year 10 of the same comprehensive school, and to be perfectly honest, I've grown to love it. Your daughter may feel as if she hates the school because she's thinking how things could be so much better if she'd have passed her exam, this is how I felt too. If there is no way she can get into a grammar school, I suggest you make her stay on at the comprehensive school she is currently at, and see how it goes. Perhaps she didn't pass her exam because she's one of a kind (like myself) who cannot work in very pressured environments. If she still doesn't like the school, I suggest you move her to another comprehensive school, but then again, it's easier said than done.


==


With regard to Common Entrance - I presume you realise that this is for entry into British Private/Public schools which have massively high fees. Even if your child passes, they would only have their fees paid if they did well enough to get a scholarship to the school of your choice and even then they usually only allow a percentage of money off the fees.

To enter your child for the exam, I presume you would have to go via one of the Prep Schools which enter children for it. Many senior private schools have their own Prep schools so if you wanted your child to go to one of these they might allow her to sit the CE exam when their own children are sitting it. But really you'd need to contact the school and ask them.

Another route might be for your child to sit a scholarship exam at a private school, which is open to all children, not just those attending Prep schools already. These excams are usually advertised in the press but the best way to find out about them is to phone a school you're interested in and ask them for details.

==

I currently go to a grammar school and i think the best way to solve this would be to contact your local council (or the council where the school is). They sort out everything related to schooling and would be able to provide details of what you can do. Also you can try and contact the school and see what their policy is on accepting people who haven't passed the 11+.

However it may be difficult to attain this and if it isn't possible, i would suggest try and supporting your daughter in any way possible if she really hates it there and there's nothing you can do to change the situation being there for her will make ALL the difference. I used to be stuck at a school i hated.

No comments:

Post a Comment