free counters

Wednesday 8 September 2010

Ramadhan brings fragrance to their lives



Ramadhan brings fragrance to their lives








IN THE holy month of Ramadhan, especially in the last few days, the Bruneians visit the gravesites of their loved ones. The time of festivity and celebrations is also a time of remembering those who have departed from this world.

This practice of visiting the graves also opens opportunities for the less fortunate children to earn that extra buck through offering various services like cleaning areas of the graveyards or selling products such as scented water or "Air Asah-Asahan", which is usually poured on the graves.

"It is good that we can cater to the needs of visitors. They don't need to make their own scented water, we can provide them here," said 16-year-old, Syukri bin Abdullah, who sells a big bottle of fragrant water for a dollar.

Syukri and his little brother Md Amirul Akamal or 'Mawi' as he likes to be called, are dropped at the Kampung Pulaie Muslim gravesite to sell the fragrant water by their retired bus driver father every morning from the first day of Ramadhan.

Their "graveyard" shift starts early in the morning and ends between 4pm and 5pm.

"If we wake up early and by 6am or so we're here. I have seven siblings all together and we take turns who goes in the morning and so on. But lately I have been doing a full day because it is getting busy at home," said Syukri.

Syukri is a confident teenager who readily agreed to share a part of his life. His eyes reflect concentration and focus conveyed in his clear and polite speech when he talks about his experience as a less fortunate teenager. "On good days we can earn $80, while on other days we make between $10 and $15. It helps if I can earn some extra money for myself. We can't be too dependant on benefits all the time," said the high school student.

Syukri's family sells about 30 bottles daily, sometimes the number goes up when there are a lot of visitors.

"My dad says pour the unsold scented water on the graves," he said.

For as long as he can remember, he has been facing hardship but it does not stop him from gaining a courteous demeanour.

"Since a very young age I have been told to be patient. Whenever I wanted something that was beyond our budget, my parents would say let the other people have it, just be patient, when we'll have money we will get it for you. I have been hearing this for all of my young life," said Syukri.

"But what can you do?" asks Syukri, adding "as I grew older, I realised the financial condition of the family. There is no use in buying expensive things, sometimes they even don't last a year.

However, Syukri is thankful that he has a supportive group of friends."When I am out with my friends, sometimes they offer to pay for me because they know I don't have money. Sometimes when I am in need of money, I borrow from them and they tell me, repay whenever you have the money. If not, than consider it as 'Halal' from us," he said.

"I will always try to pay back because I don't want to run away from debt. Besides, I don't want them to talk behind my back. But I am just glad they're very understanding because some of them have been in my situation though not all of them," he said.

The brave teenager believes it is only natural to feel envious about what others have.

"At school, I am envious of the ones who can afford those portable games. I just look on but some nice boys are willing to share and lend their games," said Syukri, who one day wants to become a businessman, which surely is achievable with his confidence and drive.

Syukri and his siblings and parents live at their grandparents' house with their aunts and uncles under the same roof.

Syukri's younger brother who likes to be called 'Mawi' is 11 years old. "We need extra money to buy things for school and to help my father fix the car. The money is also used for our Hari Raya expenses," said Mawi, who wants to apply for university studies and become a police officer one day.

Syukri and Mawi have always carried out their small business at the Kampung Pulaie gravesite. They have recently been joined by two other friends from Jalan Tutong area to sell scented water. Md Aliuddin bin Zulkifli is 10 years old while Md Abd Syukri Abd Rahim is 13. Both are cousins.

"I usually sell scented water at the Kiulap gravesite near the Jame' 'Asr mosque. But for this Ramadhan its just been here. I have been doing this since I was 10 and I am still shy about it," said Md Abd Syukri.

The parents of Md Abd Syukri are divorced. He lives with his grandmother and mother, plus six siblings.

"He gets embarrassed when he bumps into his friends while selling the scented water," says his cousin Aliuddin.

The Brunei Times

No comments:

Post a Comment